What is the Sports Premium or PE and Sport Grant?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annumn for the academic years 2013/14, 2014/15 and 2015/16 to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Department for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children. Each school will recieve £8,000 plus an extra £5 per pupil aged 5-11 at the January census each year for the next three years.
Here at St.Joseph’s Catholic Primary School that will mean approximately £8,600 a year. The money can only be spent on sport and PE provision in schools.
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
- Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers when teaching PE
- New or additional sports clubs
- Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/Sport
- Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
- Providing places for pupils on after school sports clubs and residential visits